Mar 20, 2017

Preußenbowl III

Preußenbowl III

It was the first tournament of the year and as usual for me, it wasn't a good one.
I played wood elves as I wanted to have a shot at the best painted trophy.

Roster

Treeman (Guard)
2x Wardancers (Strip Ball, Tackle)
3x Catchers
Thrower (Leader)
4x Linemen (2x Wrestle)
2x Rerolls

Game 1 vs Skaven

FAME +1
Sweltering Heat

As the elves kicked the ball the crowed threw a thrown rock, but it only resulted in a stunned linerat.

Just before the rock hit home. The linerat on the far right was stunned
 It looked good for the elves, but then I got greedy and blocked with the tree, who was holding of four or five rats. In hindsight I shouldn't have made that block as the tree went down and my opponent could move off with the rats. I could however pressure my opponent to score and managed to equalize before the half.

Things were looking up until we rolled for sweltering heat. Four out of my eight elves stayed off the field.
Lazy elves
This combine with lousy KO rolls meant that I had five elves to my opponents eleven rats.
Thins just snowballed from there and needles to say, I lost the game 1-2 (1-4).

Game 2 vs Khemri

FAME+1
Nice weather

I once again kicked off the game (which I was happy to do) and just spent the half defending.
Elves kicking off
I thought I had stopped him in turn 8 (see picture), but he managed to blitz the lone lineman away and got through with a skeleton followed by a Khemri pass and catch. You don't see that every day and I shouldn't have been greedy and placed a catcher in scoring range. Instead, I should have made sure that the passing play would have been even harder.

Khemri pass in the making
I followed his score up with my first ever one turner (not counting throw team mate scores).

I then stalled my half out until turn 15 and my opponent couldn't manage a two turn score (which is quite hard with Khemri).

2-1 (3-0)

Game 3 vs High Elves

Verry Sunny
FAME +1

I received the ball this game and scored late and my opponent didn't even try the one turn score.

I then almost stopped him in his drive, but a quad skull interfered and he could score, but he left me some time on the clock.

I receive the ball and am in a good position. The organizer stops by our table and informs us that we have ten minutes left, so I go for it with the wardacner with the ball. All I needed to do next was to screen him off, but the first screen player rolls a one. Dodge reroll, another one.

All my opponent had to do was knock the wardancer down, but he needed a pow. He get's one on a pow. He however didn't have any players in range to pick the ball up and pass it and as the game would be over anyways, it didn't matter. At least, that's what I thought.

The organizer then stopped by again and this time told us that we could finish our game.
I was pissed. If that had been the case from the beginning, I wouldn't have made that mad dash for the win, but rather played it safe and walked in in turn 16. As it turned out now, my opponent got the ball and managed to score in turn 16, on a long pass.

The quad skulls didn't cost me the game, the organizer did. 
Not fair at all.

1-2 (1-1)

Game 4 vs Necromantic

FAME +0
Nice

I must admit that I was tilting after game 3 and played very poorly.
I received the ball and it started to rain.

As my opponent is known for going for most cas, I thought I could up the score a bit and went for a quick score, but everything failed and I lost players and the ball.

Thankfully, I managed to stop him with a few elves and a tree, so the game ended in a draw.

0-0 (1-4)

Summary

I ended the tournament on 1-1-2, which I wasn't happy about. Game 3 should have been a win or at least a draw. I've been in the same position as my opponent once and I just shook hands and noted down a draw then. If the organizer changes his mind like that, you shouldn't take advatage of it. My opponent did and it was a loss. Game 4 was my fault. It's important to forget and move on. Each game is a new game. It's good to practice that mindset and that's something I'll take with me from the tournament. Another thing I'll take with me is a roster tweak. I'll go down to two catchers and add another lineman plus a cheerleader and a coach. I feel like the amount of ST2 was just a bit much and it didn't really fit my style of play. I believe that the wood elf roster that would fit me the best would be seven linemen, one catcher, two wardacners and a tree, but I need to paint another two lineman before I can play that roster. Soon though.

I didn't win the best painted award either. I wasn't even in second place.
The way the voting for the teams was set up was flawed, in my opinion. The teams were set up in two rows, my team being behind another team with a wall in front. Also, the organizer didn't inform people of the voting, so I don't think everyone voted.

The dwarf team that won is nice, as long as you stay a feet away form it. There's no blending of the highlights etc. Here's a link to the teams.

All in all, I wasn't happy with the tournament and I didn't really have fun, which is a shame.
I've felt that way about all the Preußenbowls and I'm considering not to attend anymore. The organizer plays music during the games and that with the normal noise creates a headache, which in it's own is reason enough for not attending.

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry for all the negativity. I promise that the next post will be positive.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot judge the other teams from the pics but yours is great, keep it up, paint the missing linemen and go for it next time!
    Don't despair, sometimes Nuffle makes it hard to enjoy the game, breath and let it go. See you in the field!

    ReplyDelete